Sunday, October 3, 2010

A day in Seventh grade

All students were required to gather in school assembly by 8:45 every morning. No excuses were entertained unless there was something in writing by parents. The shortest kid will be standing first in the line staring at the fat old principal, wetting his pants, thinking he may be asked to read the headlines of daily newspaper. A 6-foot tall 10th grade student will laugh his ass off at this juncture. What follows after- is a 10-minute pledge (lie) which begins with "India is my country and all Indians are my ---- and -----". Consensus we choose our relations. Even a deaf guy can hear there is a vocal incoherence from the 1st and 2nd line of the pledge.

For some unknown reason every school has four beautiful girls with mesmerizing voice from 7th grade to 10th, only one from each grade. They take extreme pride while singing a missionary prayer as if they were given an opportunity of a life-time that usually lasts for 6 minutes/day.However it gives immense pleasure to talk to these angels, though the conversation usually begins with "hello akka" and ends with "ok akka".

All students disperse to their respective classes with one only thing in mind, a due math homework. "The mind stays fresh early in the morning and algebra can supplement that at zero hour" - How dumb was this ideology?

After exposing to X's and Y's and "hence proved", the class favorite teacher arrives with English Non-detailed book and introduces to Tom Sawyer's gang. Universal fact - Red saree is pleasing with a bunch of gold coated keys trying to hang on to the saree.

A 15-minute attempt during the recess not to talk in our mother tongue just so to avoid a 25 paisa fine to a class leader (wearing a red-color badge), who has nothing else to do than score 148 marks out of 150 in every single unit test. Unbeknown to all - the missing two marks are from languages (It's probably against the school rules to award out of out in languages).

A life cycle of a butterfly awaits after the recess in Natural Science class. Madam Rose dictates the notes and after successively failing for 40 odd minutes copying from the friend's book, I now have 20 misspelled words per page.

Fourth period was probably the longest - staring at a friend (the only one in class who has a watch - worth 30 Rs/-) how much longer will this fast lasts. He signals - 20-10-5-thumbs up and the first time it sounds good to listen the school bell ringing.

How difficult was it to drop a spoon in lunch basket - was a common question to my mom every other day. The missing spoon in the basket is an insult to use my right hand to eat yogurt rice. Thou shall not eat with bare hands in front of other kids - 12th commandment.

Post lunch - Third unit test results in Physics - 17/25 - with remarks "could do better"- If I only I had nerve to say to back then " Yeah - I can see that & So could you"

And then the huge discrimination within the class - 10 students will take their "Special English/Special Hindi - books out of their bags and leaves the rest of the class with a smile which I can never forget. Not sure what makes them feel so special, some jerks who cant speak, read or write in their mother tongue!

I had my share when Telugu teacher taught us that "Chakrapani - chakram paani andu kala vaadu - bahuvrihi samasam" and the entire class looked at me.. That's right my proudest moment!!

Moral science was giving least importance as it carries no weight in exams. A 45-minute physical training class and we all used to play the game of multiples of 7 (Say Bus - at 7,14,21,28...).Four of us intentionally lose just so we can play cricket with our seniors and help then continue their play by getting them the ball every-time it was out of their reach. How pathetic!

After a long day at school I now face the questionnaire from my mom - Homework icchaara? followed by me asking - "emi tiffin chesavu" - mom - "lunch tinnava? - Spoon pettava?? - One hour lo daddy vastharu!

One hour later - I opened my lunch box to finish the untouched left over yogurt rice with my bare hand!!

Written by someone who stood 29th in his 7th grade out of 35 students.

4 comments:

  1. "Thou shall not eat with bare hands in front of other kids - 12th commandment"..LOL!

    " Yeah - I can see that & So could you".. LOL again!

    It would help if you could translate the telugu lines to English for people like me that can't follow a little complicated telugu ....

    I totally agree the moral science and least importance thing :D in skool...

    So,...the laziness in eating was from childhood as I learn ;)

    Enjoyed reading this too...:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey gud post..reminds me of all those sweet/sour moments in school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chirjiv - I imagine your were enrolled in Special English class huh? ;)

    Will try to keep it simple. Not sure the roots of my laziness though..

    Thanks for reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jyostna. Sorry for reminding of sour moments!

    ReplyDelete